A quiet Sunday afternoon has seen the completion of the amethyst. Not a subject I will be rushing to paint again but very satisfying learning how to paint a different texture.
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
The desk is set up is the same arrangement every week, except this month the reference photo is a piece of amethyst. I suspect all those little geometric bits of rock will drive me crazy by the end of the week. But I am prepared to give it a go and follow along with Anna Mason's teaching.
Often when I post the comments are so full of praise for my talent. Almost feel guilty to tell you I have very little talent. I do have a strong desire to paint and dogged perseverance as I follow along with an excellent teacher. Since committing to classes with one teacher I can really see an improvement in my paintings. The next photo is an example of my first attempts to paint poppies.
The poppies were painted around 2013 or 14 and it was only when I discovered botanical style painting in the last 14 months that I think my skills improved. Now I am absorbed by looking at the detail in one flower, petal or leaf and find painting the detail quite relaxing. That style may not be for everyone and that is ok.... as I so admire all the wonderful mixed media art people post and it inspires me to have a go.
Looking forward to visiting desks over the woyww week.
Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Painted a succulent for this months tutorial.
But, got into a pickle with the green I choose. Anna Mason uses Winsor Newton w/c paints and I use Daniel Smith and usually I can remember to substitute WN names for the ones I am using. Not this time. Happily painting away and realised half way through I was using the wrong green. These days I just keep going ... finish the job and move on to the next painting. Life is too short to stress about mistakes.
Happy woyww and I promise to slowly visit lots of desks over the next couple of day.
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Not much changes week to week at my desk so I thought I would show you a close up of my painting set up. Plate, plastic water containers, paint tin and plate cover all purchased from the 2 dollar shop which means I can save my money for Daniel Smith w/c and really good w/c paper. I used to use up rolls of paper towel with every painting. Now I only use a couple of sheets wrapped around a toilet roll which absorbs most of the moisture when I wipe the brush. This means I only have to change the paper roll when it starts to look really bad. I generally put out the w/c I am going to use around the plate and mix the colours on the open space. Leaving the unecessary colours in the tin (with the lid closed) stops me trying every colour in the one painting. A fairly simple system that seems to be working for me.
Finally a big pic of the cupcake. Really pleased how all the different textures turned out
Have a great woyww week.
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
Painting a delicious cupcake and I decided to leave out the bits of blueberry in the icing.
January's tutorial is a succulent and I can't wait to get started.
Repainted the cover of my faces sketchbook. Much happier with this version.
Finally a pic of the two kookaburra's we were feeding while on holidays.
Back to work next week.